Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Pierce Grocery: 1930s




Above, Pearl Pierce poses in front of the Pierce Grocery at on the corner of Springhill Avenue and Lafayette Street. In the photo to the left, brothers Carl and W.T. Pierce pose inside the store.

After he completed Wilmer High School in 1929, W.T., in his own words, “took various jobs around the area, doing farm work, nursery work, etc. After about six months, I sold my only worldly possession, one Jersey cow, for $35, bought a one-way ticket to Chicago, Illinois to seek my fortune.

"I got a job in the Kauffman and Woff Department Store, and there worked in various departments for about three and one-half years, where I met my wife.

"From there I came back to Mobile and bought out a small grocery store on the corner of Center and Lyons Park Avenue, behind Lyons Park."

W.T. noted that after 10 months, "I went back to Chicago to marry my wife, the former Pearl Ruth Schultz.

" Later I sold the Center Street grocery, and bought out a store on the corner of Springhill Avenue and Lafayette Street, and ran this store for a couple of years, until the spring of 1939."

In 1939, W.T. bought the Pan-Am gas station on the corner of Highway 43 and Shelton Beach Road in Saraland, Alabama. "I operated this business, making several expansions until the Saraland Shopping Center was built, and in October, 1963, sold this business to Besdole Investment Corporation."



No comments:

Post a Comment